4 Reasons to Turn It Up
I love summer for two reasons. I was born in June, and the best songs come out during the season.
This summer has definitely not disappointed with great music to work out to. Before I share my favorite playlist this summer, let's talk about why we should turn it up when working out.
- Music makes working out fun - when I first started getting in to working out, it was not necessarily fun to me. I needed help in looking forward to my workouts. Then I started creating playlists with my favorite songs. I began wanting to work out just to hear my favorite songs, and now I love working out to the point that songs are not necessary. It was great to get started with them!
- Music creates a certain persona - ever listened to Beyonce when working out? I have and let me tell you, there is something about her music that can make you feel sexy and powerful. The right song can really boost your motivation and make you feel like you can crush a workout. My personal favorite Beyonce songs that always get me in a mindset to workout are "Feeling Myself," "7/11," and "Sweet Dreams." Try them and you will basically be Beyonce while you workout.
- Music matches your workout - as talked about above, the right song can make you feel a certain way. Another thing that helps is that there are so many different genres, artists, and beats that can match with your workout. For example, if I am doing a light jog on the treadmill, my music will be a little slower paced and more lyric heavy than when I am doing HIIT intervals. HIIT will be fast songs that emphasize a beat more than the lyrics because there is no way I am going to sing along. Matching a playlist with intervals, yoga, stretching, cooldowns, and more are such a great idea!
- Music pushes your effort - there is nothing like relying on music when you feel like you cannot make it anymore through the workout. So many times I need an extra push and I change the song to one I know will keep me going for that last interval or that last rep. It also helps to play inspirational songs that really push you to get moving, no matter what it is!
I also have to share my favorite playlist right now. The below playlist is a combination of songs that came out during this summer, as well as older songs I still add to newer playlists.
- Gold - Kiiara
- Do It Again (Zoo station Radio Mix) - Royksopp & Robyn
- **For Free (feat. Drake) - DJ Khaled**
- Hype - Dizzee Rascal & Calvin Harris
- Gangsta - MOGUAI & Benny Benassi
- This is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna) - Calvin Harris
- One Dance (feat. Wizkid & Kyla) - Drake
- Blue Jeans (RAC Mix) - Lana Del Rey
- Midnight City - M83
- Strive (feat. Missy Elliot) - A$AP Ferg
- Work (feat. Drake) - Rihanna
- We Dem Boyz - Wiz Khalifa
DJ Khaled and Drake's "For Free" is the one I absolutely love right now for working out. Anyone else have songs they cannot help but repeat to their workout?